Have you thoroughly swooned and drooled over the color explosion that is STYLO issue 4. I'm still taking it in even though I've already gotten sneak peeks of almost every section. The talent is amazing and I'm plotting my summer sewing as I write this.
In the meantime, here's some more details about how my shoot all went down and if you're looking closely, our new pattern. Surprise!
I was approached by the editors of STYLO, Jessica and Celina, in January to see if I would like to be part of the section 5 Designers 1 Fabric. The answer was a resounding YES! I've oggled STYLO since the first issue came out and I couldn't believe I was getting a chance to be part of it. The Pinterest inspiration board that Celina had compiled was chock full of bright colors, fruit and rainbow explosions. The wheels were turning fast.
When the fabric arrived i got to scheming. It was a muted tan print from Alison Glass's stunning Handcrafted collection so I paired it with a brighter print from her same collection to pop the colors. I had always imagined some type of color blocking so I trekked down to my favorite store in the garment district, Hameds, and scoured their African Wax Print until the perfect one popped at me. The fabrics coordinated without feeling matchy-matchy. They felt bright without actually being bright. And no fabric overpowered another. I was excited!
Here's where the surprise comes in. I used my new pattern, the Bedford dress for the shoot! It will be released next month but I was so excited I couldn't wait. Its clean lines lent itself well to the color blocking and the fabrics stood out on their own. It's a simple a-line cut with a dress shirt hem (scooped up at the side seam). I wanted something simple that was more accessible for my customers and I think this pattern has the right amount of details without being overwhelming for beginner sewers.
I'm a bit obsessed with racerback clothing. I love the detail of shoulders showing without being too bare. And straps don't fall off shoulders which is really important for kids running around in the summer. I'm also a huge fan of exposed zippers. I think they offer a nice detail, can be a nice way to add a pop of color and they are really easy to put in. Zippers on kids' clothes are a major plus. The dress also has an option to be shortened into a tunic. It's a nice added sewing bonus.
And how can I forget about these hair flowers. They were a last minute addition which turned out to be one of the highlights of the shoot. I did a quick Pinterest search and found these super easy Martha Stewart flowers (I know, I couldn't believe there was something easy on Martha's site either!). I used her template and stitched them while watching Netflix. I jammed a bobby pin into the center of the flower and used a lot of hairspray to keep the whole hairdo together. Luckily my model was patient because I definitely made this up as I went along.
So if you've stuck with me this long then I'll tell you one more secret. Both my new patterns are on pre-sale right now in our shop. The Bedford dress and Henry dress are up and discounted before their release in June. Even if you're not ready to buy, go check out the photographs and the cute Brooklyn babes we have modeling them.
Tomorrow I'll be talking about my little man's outfit. His mommy shirt and shorts. And the tattoo that stayed on for weeks in all its faded glory.